What to do with surplus fruit and veg
If ever you have surplus fruit and veg, fear not, help is at hand!
My tips are:
- Eat as much as you can while its in season. No fruit or vegetables improve with storage.
- Apples can be pressed to make your own apple juice. Do this while the apples are still crisp.
- Store only produce that is in peak condition. Produce that isn't should be cooked and eaten or frozen.
- Most produce likes cool, dark and dry conditions. An apple rack in a garage is perfect.
- Handle produce carefully. That one bad apple can cause havoc.
- Regularly check and remove anything which looks like it is about to rot (and is probably not worth eating anyway)
- Only store what you think you will want to eat. If you have too much put it in a box by your garden gate with a note asking people to help themselves. Remember to leave some bags too.
If you want to know more try Piers Warren’s wonderful guide How to Store Garden Produce.